Section 3: “Reaping the Benefits”
This section connects better listening and information management to better decision-making and benefits that can span entire organisations.
Chapter 12: “Connecting Better Listening to Better Judgment”
Learning from others and constantly reconstructing ideas leads to discoveries and insights.
Chapter 13: “Changing Your Organisation through Listening”
- “Foster a more disciplined and productive organisation.”
- The example raised was the organisation of organisation-wide meetings. In these meetings, speakers need to be well-prepared and adhere to strict requirements.
- “Ensure the free and open flow of information and ideas.”
- Show appreciation and address CP’s concerns.
- “Establish a reverence for fact-based discussions.”
- Challenge assumptions.
- “Generate more insights and more creative solutions.”
- The example raised was organising productive rivalry within the organisation.
- “Build an organisation that excites and energises its people.”
Conclusion: “What to Do on Monday Morning”
- “Keep quiet.”
- “Challenge assumptions.”
- “Focus on what you need to know.”
- “Increase your tolerance for ambiguity and uncertainty.”
- “Sort incoming information.”
- “Work your memory to gain insights.”
- “Know when to pull the trigger.”
- “Demonstrate the best listening practice to lift everyone’s game.”